The Act contains 47 articles. It provides for the establishment, organization and administration of the Namibian Police Force. Regulates the powers and duties of the Force and prescribes the procedures to secure the internal security of Namibia and to maintain law and order. Also regulates the discipline, appointment, promotion and discharge of members of the Force.
Repeals the following:
- Police (South West Africa) Act, 1939 (Act 19 of 1939);
- Police Act, 1958 (Act 7 of 1958)
- Police Amendment Proclamation, 1981 (Proclamation AG. 9 of 1981);
- Police Amendment Proclamation, 1983 (Proclamation AG. 21 of 1983);
- Second Police Amendment Act, 1987 (Act 16 of 1987);
- Police Amendment Act, 1987 (Act 20 of 1987);
Amends the following:
- Explosives Act, 1956 (Act 26 of 1956) section 1 is amended by the substitution for the definition of "Minister" of the following definition: "'Minister' means the Minister of Home Affairs;";
- Arms and Ammunition Act, 1969 (Act 75 of 1969) section 1 is amended by the substitution for the definition of "Minister" of the following definition: "'Minister' means the Minister of Home Affairs";
- Second law Amendment (Abolition of Discriminatory or Restrictive Laws for purposes of Free and Fair Election) Proclamation, 1989 (Proclamation AG. 25 of 1989) is amended in the Annexture by the deletion of the entries relating to the Police Act, 1958.