The general minimum wage applies to employees and certain interns. The following are not employees within the meaning of the MWA:
- Anyone who is a trainee under the Vocational Training Act, including persons who are enrolled in vocational training preparation measures.
- Anyone who works as a volunteer/in an honorary capacity.
- Anyone who does voluntary service.
- Anyone who is enrolled in a measure that actively promotes their participation in the labour market.
- Anyone who is a home worker under the Home Works Act.
- Anyone who is self-employed.
Under section 2 (1) of the Minimum Wage Act, employers must normally pay the minimum wage for each hour worked and pay this by the date specified by law.